Thursday, December 23, 2010

It's coming...

Christmas.  It's here.  It's all around us.  There's evidence in the true meaning of Christmas as I see practically every one around me in a tizzy of holiday hairied mess.  Endless lists of things to do.  Gifts to buy without a clue of what it should be.  Uncompleted decorations.  No time left for all the baking to be done.  And goodness, how will we ever host the family?!

I know people are stressed, they're eating dessert.  They're confused.  After all, stressed spelled backwards...d-e-s-s-e-r-t...hand me another cookie, would ya?

And another clue?  The nearly-getting-hit as I was coming back from a morning run last week, by a woman who clearly crossed the road to the side cars don't belong on when they're going in that direction, and who definitely hardly-ever actually stops at the stop sign (in a quiet neighborhood, I might add!).  This woman must have it her dream to qualify for the Indy 500 in 2011 or something because every time I see her she sure is cutting it close!

I've been furious.  I've told people I know - practically every one! - about this woman's craziness.  And I've said it out loud that I'm going to go talk with her.  And then I've even said that I'm surprised she hasn't delivered me cookies yet to apologize for her prideful hurry.  Half joking.  Which means the other half isn't.

{S-L-A-P!}

Did you hear it?  Can you see the redness on my face?

It's my pride.

Ouch.

In the hustle and bustle of that woman's life, and every one else I see around me, I've mounted a big ol' fat idol of Pride on my front lawn and right on my forehead.  See it?  Yuck-o!

Christmas isn't the only time we're supposed to be nice and not naughty.  Christmas should be every day of the year, don't you think?

Don't you think we should settle down, do less, enjoy more, and give a little more Grace all the time?

So, I think that Christmas is showing up right now...just before we're all about to break.  We're being pushed to our limits to surrender ourselves, our plans, our pride, our time, our lists...and just experience Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment