Thursday, June 14, 2012

appreciating the long road


I've often craved instant.

Get it over with. Fix it now. Make it happen. Don't delay.

The pain seems so heavy and thick when I imagine the road of living that might be required. 

Yet, I've come to realize it's really the fear of pain that is worse than the actual pain.

What I imagine might be is hardly ever the way I imagine it to be.

Pride tells me that I know how I will feel or what will happen.

Truth tells me I am not that good in my imagination. 

I just don't know what is around the bend in the road. Or what will cross my path to make the journey different.

A song on the radio. A doe and her two fawns. An elderly couple in the car next to me. A child waving.

Our thoughts are instantly shifted the moment our sight line is changed.

A diagnosis. A different job. A change in salary letter. A note home from the teacher. The call.

Our plans are instantly sidelined the moment our path is changed. 

The unexpected in our journey often feels like a D E L A Y or a detour.

We know what we want and when we want it. Yet life doesn't always work out that way.

I've only begun to really live by faith. Trusting more than I ever have before.

I've only recently chose willingness--to See what I've always been afraid to see. 

Time. Trust. Cooperation.

That's what God asks of me. It's what makes the difference in living free versus living in fear.

Like my child who always wants to know where we're going or what we're doing next, I constantly mull over what might be coming down the pike for us in our life.

I am learning...slowly...that God wants me here and to enjoy the journey. 

Life is a long road of sometimes hairpin turns and other times long straight desert-like lengthy moments. The valleys can be deep and the mountains can be high.

Every single view was crafted by Him. Every single moment made for purpose.

_______________________________________________

Follow A {Grace} full *life* on FacebookTwitter and Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment