Thursday, January 6, 2011

reflecting on a decade (and more) of Grace

It seems funny in a way to pay so much attention to a decade. In the scope of a lot of years, ten doesn't seem like much. I have a grandmother who will turn Ninety this year. Nine decades worth of living. Now, that seems like a long time to reflect upon. And yet, I know there are children born who don't live close to even one decade, and their lives have such an influence on others - so many lessons learned through a life briefly lived.

The first decade of my life I was still a child. Becoming more independent and still such a little girl. In the second decade of my life I was preparing for a marriage I knew would be nearing the corner in the following year. I was finishing up at college and still so self absorbed. Now, in my third decade of life I celebrate a decade of marriage today. I have been married for a third of my life and have learned more in this time decade about the things that really seem to matter - much more than just good manners or sport management.

I feel older. It's the first time in my life that I actually feel older. I can see it, too. The years are adding up and I feel more credible to be speaking with wise words on occasion, or even in being a mother. I haven't learned it all and I'll still struggle, I'm sure. But for now, I am seeing something that I didn't really notice before.

I am loved.

There's nothing I have to do, or even that I can do for God to love me any more or any differently. Like my child who falls and I run before I even hear the cry, my Father is there for me - even if it's right after I've stomped off and declared that I don't need Him to tell me what to do.

It's all to His honor that I celebrate the first decade of my marriage today. And it's in His honor that I lift up the first three decades of my life (plus a year). Now, more than ever, I see that it is all because of His Grace.  Even one moment - much less than one decade - can mean more than ten thousand lifetimes.  His purposes are beyond our comprehension and it is all because of His love that He guides and nourishes us along the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment