Monday, June 20, 2011

Expectations of a Father

There are a lot of should's and demands of a Father.

The pressures they tackle can seem insurmountable.

Father's are expected to keep their children safe -- they should make their daughter's feel secure and their son's feel strong.

Father's are supposed to create better worlds for those they love.

Father's are required to be *fixers* of everything. Even hearts.

Father's aren't supposed to hurt.

Yet, there are plenty of men out there who struggle with the role of being a Dad. In fact, I don't know a single one who doesn't.

Women tend to be critical of themselves. And yet we don't realize how critical men are of themselves, too.

It's not acceptable for a father to flail in his identity. Father's can't flop.

But, father's aren't perfect.

Men wonder, {just as much as women}, what their role is, and how to measure up -- how to meet all of those *expectations* -- with strength.

Because, strong doesn't fall. At least it shouldn't. Though, sometimes it does.

Father's sometimes make mistakes. And father's sometimes cry.

Today I think of the men in my life who are father's -- my father, my Dad, my Groom, and my Heavenly Father.  Only one of them is perfect.

And it's Him who I am giving thanks to today. He knows what's best for me, and ultimately for so many others. He allowed these father's in my life -- father's to me and father to my child(ren) -- for purpose, and it isn't to represent perfection; it's to represent His Love.

Thank you, Father, for the men in my life who lead me to you. I lift them each up to you today and thank you for what they represent -- even in their own struggles and imperfection.


_____________________________________________

Gratitude for Unwrapped *Gifts* of {Grace}...

...{Grace} to give thanks for even the painful parts of my story...

...an engaged Daddy for our little-Boy-Man...

...Seeing that even father's hurt...

...new glove-giving for baseball catching...

...the legacy of farmland to cultivate...

...a story to write...

...cinnamon rolls and breakfast at home...

...hearing the Boy-Man speak wise words his daddy says...


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. Thank you for sharing this tender post. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete